Wednesday 3 December 2014

Future Proposals for Bromley Library Service

The council are consulting about options for the future of the Bromley Library Service which includes:

  • the development of community managed libraries
  • market testing the core library service
  • improving current library buildings

Surveys can be completed online or in your local library.

The council are consulting about the future of the library services as we must make further budget savings of more than £60 million from a budget of £206 million over the next four years and we are looking carefully at the future of every council service.

You can complete the survey at Bromley Library Survey

Please complete the survey to let us know your views. The consultation will run from Monday 1 December 2014 until Monday 2 February 2015.

It is important that all LERA members complete the survey. All of the three options proposed will mean a much worse service being provided at Burnt Ash or more likely lead to its its closure.

1 comment:

  1. I have completed the survey - it is not easy as it gets you thinking about how you use the Library service currently and how likely you are to use it in the future. Over the years I have been using the Library I have noticed a number of changes, not only to the Library Service itself, but also to the way I use it. Past changes to the Central Library in Bromley and in particular to the Central Reference Library mean it no longer has all the publications I previously used and seemingly concentrates more on electronic access (i.e. internet use). Such use is more and more widespread, be it online books, films, TV, alternative social media or general reference work, accessible through a number of devices - computers, iPads, Notebooks, laptops, mobile phones, etc. My own researches now tend to be more internet focused rather than attending places which hold reference or archive material - that is the way of the world currently and I suppose we have to accept change is inevitable as a result. My own reading habits have also diminished as I find more items of research on the internet and so if there are more like myself it is inevitable that general Library use will decline and the service has to adapt as a consequence (by that I probably mean more centralisation and electronic access). Sad but inevitable I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete