Friday 30 November 2012

Another type of scam this time in Bromley High Street


Please read the following message from a known local resident . I think this lady acted very wisely in the circumstances.  

Please also do not think that this scam is confined to Bromley town centre  - there have been similar scams in the Midlands. This is the season for Thieves and Scammers to try to reap rewards from the unwary.

 " I have unfortunately been targeted in Bromley , in the Card Factory, just 2 doors away from Nat West Bank, by 2 people who threw, what seemed to be like paint over the back of my coat, I had just come out of the Nat West with cash and put it deep inside my jacket  pocket, zipped up.  I was homed in by these people in the card shop who tried to insist I remove my jacket, one was chap and the other a woman who tried to insist I take my jacket off so they could help clean it, took me a minute or so to realize what was happening and fortunately I did not remove my jacket.  I then ran back inside the bank who were most helpful they called the police, had to wait over 11/2 hours for a community policemen to arrive, who took all details, I felt quite shaken up.  I have not heard if they spotted anybody suspicious on the Bank's CCTV camera yet.  Two other policemen came to visit me here at home and took more details.   It was pointed out that this scam was mentioned in the News Shopper. Apparently a lot of it going on in Bromley, especially this time of year, I feel if the police already know about this scam why is it still going on !   I have not had the coat cleaned yet, but was told by the police the muck many not come out, seems to be oiled based."

"Police said to inform as many people as possible especially my neighborhood watch team. I have been given a Crime Card Incident Number. "

A similar crime was reported in the Newsshopper website on 16th November 2012. See the report at this link:- Bromley police warning about paint on coats

Another similar crime was also reported in the Newsshopper some years ago. See the report at this link:-

Was it the same Eastern European woman in both cases? 

No comments:

Post a Comment